Friday 1 June 2012

Fish+Water



So, my fish leather looks lovely, but it is a bit crispy. I think the mackerel is not a big enough fish with thick enough skin to make strong leather out of. Apparently before the tanning process was available the Icelandic people measured distance by how long it took fish skin shoes to wear out when walking it.  

I got some of the tanned stuff from Walter Reginald to compare to my own, it comes in all sort of crazy colours, and all the skins are different, even from the same fish, soft, crunchy, different shapes thicknesses sizes . Each fish skin is apparently as different from each other as each human skins are - pretty obvious but revelationary at the same time. 



Cod Skin


Top to bottom , Wolf fish, Salmon and Cod leather






Something watery with fish skin. 

I wanted to see how Water looks next to fish skin - does anything happen by putting them together - not really in this way anyhow. I like the idea of using fish skin with water, but this stuff just looks like leather, I think I prefer the stuff I tanned myself. I will have to have another go.

No comments:

Post a Comment