Sunday 3 June 2012

Materials.....Materiality...

I think the studio is a difficult place for this project. It is very hard not to default to the human manipulation of materials in this context , and instead embrace collaboration. It was easier when it was raining on the roof - what can I do to remind myself? 


I need a big bowl of water in the middle of the room to trip over. 



The problem is , when water is trapped, not moving, it dies somehow - I start to have something dead in the room, and I habituate to this. 


Materialsthe matter from which a thing is made - referring to the physical rather than mind or spirit

Material Agency: The assumption that non human matter and life has intention. Material Agency is at the centre of a non - anthropocentric view on 'how things happen' - taking a distributed, relational, rather than linear approach.  

Materiality: Materiality in architecture is the concept of, or applied use of, various materials or substances in the medium of building.

Material SemioticsThe idea that relations that are simultaneously material (between things) and semiotic (between concepts).




No comments:

Post a Comment